If you wish to view the application form, please create a profile/account to view the application. The payment of the non-refundable application fee is not required until you are ready to submit your application. Please ensure you have reviewed the eligibility requirements prior to submitting the application fee to ensure you qualify. Please contact the BCRSP office if you have specific questions regarding eligibility for certification.
Eligibility Guidelines for the CRST Certification
The Governing Board has approved the eligibility criteria for the CRST as follows:
- Formal Education Requirement: Have successfully completed a one-year OHS certificate program from a recognized educational institution.
- Technical Practice: Have had at least twelve months of OHS work experience (at least 35% OHS duties) immediately before submitting an application. OHS experience must be 12 months within the last 24 months as validated by the QRC.
- Formal Education Requirement: Have successfully completed a two-year** non-OHS formal education program from a recognized educational institution (Community College or University) OR is qualified to journeyman status in a trade.
- Technical Skills Development: Have completed professional development courses or training related to the CRST Examination Blueprint competency categories before submitting an application.
- Technical Practice: Have had a minimum of twelve months OHS work experience (at least 35% OHS duties) immediately before submitting an application. OHS experience must be 12 months within the last 24 months as validated by the QRC.
Pathway C – For Graduates of Recognized OHS Programs
- Formal Education Requirement: Graduates from an approved OHS program from a recognized educational institution are eligible to write the Technician Certification examination immediately upon graduation, and if successful hold the Technician level certification. The program must be on the approved list published by BCRSP.
- Upon obtaining 4 years of relevant OHS experience at a professional level, and having maintained a CRST certification in good standing, will be eligible to apply for the CRSP® certification.
**a two-year diploma or certificate program is approximately 900 hours or 60 credit hours.
Applying For Certification
Individuals interested in achieving the CRST certification must first make application to the BCRSP. Once your application is reviewed for eligibility, there is a mandatory certification examination.
English or French as a Second Language
Applicants whose first language is neither English nor French must:
- Submit documentation verifying a minimum level of 94-101 (IBT) on a Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL®) IBT; a band score of 7 on the International English Language Testing System or a score of 785-900 on a Test de français international (TFI™). (Equivalent proof of language proficiency (e.g. a university assessment) will also be accepted)
International applications are eligible for the CRST certification, however, additional documentation requirements may apply.
- International academic credentials must be translated to English or French and be verified by an official translator.
- International credentials must be submitted to a Canadian Credentialing Agency prior to application submission.
To apply, an applicant completes an application form and, together with all supporting documentation, and a non-refundable application fee, submits it to the BCRSP for processing. The application form requires details concerning formal education, professional development and related experience. In addition, a reference questionnaire and practice questionnaire must be completed by individuals who have a sound knowledge of the applicant's work performance. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that all information is submitted with the application along with the required documentation. Please review the eligibility requirements before submitting an application as the application fee is non-refundable.
The applicant is cautioned not to proceed with application submission unless the minimum eligibility requirements are met as the application fee of $525 + GST/HST is non-refundable.
Ensure that the persons selected to complete the questionnaires are aware of the necessity to complete and forward the forms accurately and promptly as failure to receive all of the questionnaires will delay the registration process.
To start the application process, you will first need to create a profile. After clicking the link below, you will be asked to create an account profile (step 1). Step 2 is the application form selection - you can review the forms in detail without submission of fees. The non-refundable application fee is only required once your application is complete and you are ready to submit it to the BCRSP for review.
Original transcripts should be sent directly to BCRSP from the academic institution. Transcripts can be sent to:
6700 Century Ave Suite 100
Mississauga, ON L5N 6A4