I am honoured to have served as chair of the BCRSP over this past year. It has been one of the highlights of my OHS career, allowing me to contribute at such an important time in the evolution of the profession.
In 2018, many BCRSP projects that have been in development for several years came to completion. These projects include:
- The deployment of an online application process for the Board's certifications.
- An updated continuous professional development (CPD) program guidelines and tracking tool through the new online portal.
- The launch of the Canadian Registered Safety Technician (CRST) certification.
- The implementation of the new eligibility criteria for the Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP)® certification.
- The roll out of the BCRSP equivalency modules for those individuals currently certified as a CRSP® who did not meet the new eligibility criteria.
- By-Law revisions that were approved by certificants at the June 24, 2018 AGM.
- The implementation of the Board's Enterprise Risk Management Framework, and training for all Governors.
- Signing of an MOU with the Safety Institute of Australia, and NEBOSH.
A number of other projects also commenced in 2018, and work is ongoing on these projects which include:
- Development of the National Framework in partnership with the Canadian Society of Safety Engineering (CSSE)
- The creation of a joint BCRSP/CSSE Accreditation Task Force, charged with developing an accreditation framework for OHS post-secondary program accreditation, including standards, processes, structures and priorities.
- The development of an Ethics Program and Provider Standard and application process to support programs being developed to meet the new mandatory CPD ethics course requirement.
- Outreach to stakeholders (industry, government, other professional groups), in advancing the need for formal recognition of the OHS profession.
- In partnership with the Safety Institute of Australia, contributing to an Ethics Chapter for the SIA's Body of Knowledge.
- International outreach to support development of memoranda of understandings and recognition of the BCRSP certifications globally.
- Ongoing collaboration with CSSE on positioning the BCRSP as the certifying body and the CSSE as the member services organization, providing education, professional development and resources.
I would like to thank the Governing Board for their passion and contributions. Their dedication to advancing the BCRSP and the profession have supported a year that has had many initiatives and changes for the organization.
Finally, I would like to acknowledge the many volunteers that support BCRSP. The strength of our certification schemes is rooted in the many committees and volunteers that devote their time, effort and passion to the organization. It has been an honour to have met many of you this past year and on behalf of the Board, Thank You!
Kevin Dawson, MBA, CRSP | BCRSP Governing Board Chair
To read the full annual report click here