Head of Research Safety
Location: Saudi Arabia
Company: King Abdullah University of Science & Technology
Reporting to the Director of Health & Safety
KAUST offers a very attractive package, and excellent accommodation located on the stunning Red Sea coast in Saudi Arabia at King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
You will have a five-minute walk to your office, no more commuting with access to unparalleled facilities, equipment and expertise. KAUST has very much a resort type feel from a living perspective. We are based on the Red Sea, with two beaches, windsurfing, scuba diving, paddle-boarding and golf course etc. all available. A superb environment for families.
King Abdullah University of Science & Technology (KAUST) is a 36 km2 suburban campus on the Red Sea with a residential city of over 7,000 residents, university campus with 2.1 million ft2 of modern research laboratories and a research park with numerous local and global research centers. In addition to the city of KAUST, marine and land-based field research is performed throughout the country and other global locations.
The Head of Research Safety, will lead a high-performing team of professional leads and specialists to maximize safety culture in the research environment of the organization, including research and teaching laboratories, research park, and field research.
As the Head of Research Safety, you will plan and lead all activity within the research community aimed at developing, communicating, and implementing health, safety and environmental programs and procedures that ensure safe, healthy, and compliant work environments in research.
• Deliver cutting edge systems and processes to ensure a safe research environment to Senior Leadership and the Board of Trustees.
• Develop and maintain a close working relationship with Principal Investigators and their research teams to understand the nature of their work and the hazards involved in order to promote a strong safety culture in the organization.
• Mentor team members to foster an ethos of collaboration, best practice, strong safety culture, and compliance.
• Develop assessment, inspection, monitoring and other oversight processes to provide independent assurance to KAUST senior leadership that the university is operating in a safe manner.
• Ensure that near misses and incidents are appropriately investigated by the HSE team, lab safety representatives and research managers, and that research managers take responsibility for implementing appropriate corrective actions.
• Develop a strong and collaborative working relationships with support staff, carriers and vendors aimed at creating effective and efficient solutions to research safety challenges.
• Collaborate with Risk Management and other stakeholder departments to maintain the KAUST Campus Risk Register and a monitoring program to verify control measures are being correctly implemented.
• Create and tracking Key Performance Indicators (KPl's) that address HSE practices and results for both KAUST and for individual departments.
• Ensure appropriate escalation of safety issues to senior leadership and other departments if it cannot be addressed by the incumbent and their team.
• Oversee contractor compliance with programs and requirements for high risk / high impact activities, and general compliance with KAUST Policies and Procedures.
• Maintain the department's data management systems and make recommendations to improve accuracy and efficiency of data management practices where needed.
• Developing ways to ensure appropriate KPl's are used as effective management tools to foster a strong safety culture.
• A Bachelor's Degree in Science, Engineering, or safety-related discipline
• Preferably, you will have a Master's degree, or International certification in an applicable HSE area preferred).
You will have:
• A minimum of 10 years relevant experience in HSE, or closely related field required.
• Led the development of a Health and Safety strategy for projects/organizations in the pre-execution stage through to the operations stage.
• Experience in leading a team of HSE Professionals.
• Demonstrated experience increasing safety culture through measures like education and awareness, collaborating with project teams, and understanding the business required.
To apply visit https://apptrkr.com/3549808.