Position: Advisor, Occupational Health & Safety Department Occupational Health & Safety (OHS)
Status: Staff, 100% full-time, Permanent
Start Date: As soon as possible after closing date
Salary Scale: $4,534.56 - $5,332.56 per month (Staff pay group 9)
Closing Date: September 22, 2017
The University of the Fraser Valley is nationally recognized for its commitment to teaching excellence, community relevance, and Indigenization. With over 100 programs, from graduate and undergraduate arts, science, and professional degrees, to trades and technical education, university preparation, and continuing education UFV is the school of choice for over 15,000 students.
Reporting to the Director of Health, Safety & Wellness the Occupational Health & Safety Advisor contributes to the advancement of an integrated model of health & safety. This position supports and works in consultation with the departmental leaders to develop and maintain a safe and healthy environment for staff and faculty and provide advice/guidance, training and programs consistent with legislative, regulatory and internal occupational health and safety policies, procedures and programs.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Ensures the development, implementation and maintenance of programs to support the University’s Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) Policy and OHS Management System
- Develops and maintains OHS policies, programs, procedures and initiatives
- Leads the investigation of workplace injuries, accidents and near misses, preparing recommendations for prevention and ensuring implementation of corrective actions
- Coordinates H&S training registration, tracking and reporting
- Communicates and provides advice to stakeholders and the community regarding health & safety
- Ensures compliance with legal requirements, corporate policies and collective agreement
- Conducts workplace safety inspections, either independently or in conjunction with the Joint Health & Safety Committees
- Coordinates the University’s ergonomic program • Leads the OHS Audit program, coordinating and participating in the audits
- Liaises with and reports to government agencies and regulatory bodies as required
- Assists with the development and implementation of the communication strategy for the OHS team
- Assists with data collection, analysis and reporting for health and safety, analysing metrics to support reporting on departmental performance
- May be required to respond to emergencies outside of regular working hours as need dictates
- College diploma or equivalent in Occupational Health & Safety. Willingness to take health and safety certification courses or pursue industry Designation such as Certified Registered Safety Professional an asset
- Minimum five (5) years of related experience including a minimum of 3 years of progressive experience in the field of health and safety management or occupational hygiene. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
- Working knowledge of legislation and principles pertaining to health and safety; relevant federal and provincial legislation, such as the Occupational Health & Safety Act, Worksafe BC Regulations, etc.
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills, including exercising tact, diplomacy and sensitivity when dealing with employees (both union and non-union), as well as external stakeholders
- Ability to explain and apply corporate policy and procedures and collective agreement provisions effectively
- Effective verbal and written communications and presentation skills • Attention to detail, effective organizational, analytical and problem solving skills
- Proven ability to manage time in a deadline-oriented environment
- Ability to work cooperatively as part of a team, as well as independently with minimal supervision
- Excellent computer and information technology skills, including MS Office applications
- Regular travel between all UFV campuses and working from these campuses as required
Shortlisted applicants may be required to undergo a criminal record check. Shortlisted applicants will be required to provide copies of their most recent evaluation summary.
Direct resume including evidence of appropriate qualifications by September 22, 2017, referring to Re-Posting #2017.156 to Human Resources University of the Fraser Valley 33844 King Road, Abbotsford, BC, Canada V2S 7M8 Tel: (604) 854-4554 Fax: (604) 854-1538
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. In an effort to be both environmentally and fiscally responsible, UFV will contact only candidates receiving an interview. We thank all applicants for considering UFV for employment. UFV is committed to the principle of equity in employment.